Contact an Experienced Riverside Domestic Violence Attorney Today
If you are being accused of domestic violence in Riverside, you are facing serious consequences, including jail or prison time and expensive fines. Additionally, a restraining order could be issued against you immediately, requiring you to stay away from your spouse or significant other, your children and your home.
When you are facing these severe penalties, you need an experienced domestic violence lawyer who understands the charges against you and how the Riverside County courts handle these types of cases. At Wallin & Klarich, our skilled Riverside criminal defense attorneys have been successfully defending clients accused of domestic violence for more than 35 years. We know how to build a winning defense to these charges.
Contact the Riverside domestic violence attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today at (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation regarding your case.
Why You Should Choose Our Riverside Domestic Violence Attorneys
Over the past 35 years, our law firm has been able to achieve numerous case victories in matters involving domestic violence in Riverside. Our success in these types of cases has helped us accumulate a number of awards and achievements, including a 5 out of 5 AV rating on Lawyers.com, a 10 out of 10 rating on AVVO.com, and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Our law firm takes pride in representing our clients with the professionalism and respect their cases deserve. View these testimonials from real clients who hired our Riverside criminal defense lawyers to find out more about how we treat our clients:
“What should you do if you are falsely accused of domestic violence in Riverside? Call Wallin & Klarich! I hired Wallin & Klarich after I was arrested for domestic violence and I am so happy that I did. My attorney worked with the district attorney, and no charges were filed against me. Thank you, Wallin & Klarich!”
“I cannot begin to tell you how much the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have helped me. I was falsely accused of domestic violence by my ex when she wanted to get an upper hand in the family court. I was looking at losing my job if I were to be convicted of this crime. When I hired Wallin & Klarich, they spent time to explain to me the process and how they were going to defend me. They treated me and my case with respect. The result was the district attorney dropping the charges.”
“The attorneys at Wallin & Klarich were very professional and knowledgeable. I was charged with domestic violence in Riverside, but Wallin & Klarich was able to get me a favorable case result.”
What is Domestic Violence in Riverside?
The term “domestic violence” does not refer to a specific crime, but rather a set of laws involving violations against protected persons. Those protected persons are people you have a close relationship with, including:
- Spouses and former spouses
- Current and former significant others
- Someone to whom you were or are engaged to be married to
- Family members, and
Specific crimes that are considered “domestic violence” offenses include:
- Inflicting corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant (PC 273.5)
- Domestic battery (PC 243(e)(1))
- Child abuse (PC 273d)
These crimes carry significant penalties in Riverside County. If you are convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence crime, you face up to 364 days in county jail and up to $1,000 in fines. Felony domestic violence offenses carry up to three years in jail and fines of up to $10,000. In addition to jail time and fines, you could be required to attend counseling and/or a batterer’s program if you are convicted of domestic violence.
You should not face these harsh penalties alone. Speak to our experienced Riverside domestic violence attorneys at Wallin & Klarich today if you have been accused of domestic violence.
What Happens When You are Arrested for Domestic Violence in Riverside?
If you are arrested for domestic violence in Riverside, you will likely be held in custody at the jail facility closest to the location of your arrest. Visit our Riverside jail information page for more information about locating a loved one who has been taken into custody for domestic violence.
The first court hearing you will have is called the arraignment. At the arraignment, you will be informed as to the specific penal code section you are alleged to have violated. You will also:
- Be informed of issues relating to bail or release
- Be informed of any future court date
- Be allowed to enter a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest
Before you appear for your first court date, you should consult with our experienced domestic violence attorneys at Wallin & Klarich. Your Riverside domestic violence attorney will be able to advise you how to proceed with your case and may be able to help you save thousands of dollars in bail bonds fees. To learn more about how hiring our law firm could help you save money on bail, visit our Riverside bail page.
Will a Domestic Violence Restraining Order Be Issued Against You?
If you are accused of domestic violence in California, one thing the court may do immediately is issue a domestic violence restraining order against you. A restraining order is a court order designed to protect the alleged victim(s) of domestic violence. This court order could require you to:
- Stay a certain distance away from the alleged victim of domestic violence
- Refrain from contacting the alleged victim in any capacity
- Refrain from seeing or contacting your children
- Stay a certain distance from your home, and
- Prohibit you from possessing, owning or purchasing a firearm while the order is in effect
The time period for the restraining order issued against you depends upon the type of order issued by the court. Restraining orders could last for up to five years.
In domestic violence cases, the court typically issues an emergency protective order that lasts 5 to 7 calendar days upon the allegation of domestic violence. Before the emergency protective order expires, there will be a restraining order hearing to determine whether a longer protective order will be issued against you.
At the hearing, the judge will hear testimony from both parties as well as any witnesses. It is important for you to be represented by a skilled and knowledgeable domestic violence attorney at this hearing so that your attorney can argue on your behalf.
Our experienced attorneys at Wallin & Klarich know the local judges and policies in Riverside County courts. Your Wallin & Klarich domestic violence attorney may be able to convince the judge to deny the request for a protective order at the restraining order hearing. Contact our law firm today at (877) 466-5245 so we can discuss your case and appear for you at your restraining order hearing.
Defenses to Domestic Violence Charges in Riverside County
If you are facing domestic violence charges in Riverside County, you face severe consequences. That is why you should seek the help of an experienced Riverside domestic violence lawyer.
At Wallin & Klarich, our skilled and knowledgeable criminal defense attorneys have been successfully defending clients charged with domestic violence in Riverside County courts for more than 35 years. Here are the legal defenses our attorneys have used to help our clients obtain favorable results in their cases:
- False Allegations – You cannot be convicted of domestic violence if you did not actually commit the crime. Our domestic violence attorneys may be able to uncover a motive for the alleged victim to lie about the incident or show that law enforcement officers arrested the wrong individual.
- Self Defense or Defense of Others – One of the most common defenses to domestic violence charges is self-defense. If you inflicted corporal injury on a spouse or cohabitant in order to defend yourself or another person from suffering harm, you cannot be convicted of domestic violence in Riverside County. It is important to note that self-defense is only a valid legal defense when your act does not exceed the amount of force that a reasonable person would believe was necessary in the same situation. For instance, it would not likely be a valid legal defense to domestic violence charges if the alleged victim was throwing articles of clothing at you and you attacked him or her with a baseball bat.
- Lack of Intent – Your Riverside domestic violence attorney may have a valid legal defense to the charges against you if you did not willfully perform an act that would cause an injury upon the alleged victim. For example, if you accidentally dropped an item on your wife’s foot, it is not considered an act of domestic violence.
If you have been accused of domestic violence in Riverside, our skilled lawyers at Wallin & Klarich can assess your case and determine which valid legal defenses may apply. Contact our law firm today at (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation so we can begin working on your case now.
Call an Experienced Riverside Domestic Violence Attorney Today
A conviction for a domestic violence crime carries significant penalties in Riverside County. That is why you should contact our experienced domestic violence defense law firm if you have been accused of inflicting corporal injury on a spouse, domestic battery or any domestic violence crime. At Wallin & Klarich, our criminal defense attorneys have been successfully defending clients accused of domestic violence in Riverside County for more than 35 years. We can help you now.
Our office can be found in Riverside, right across the street from the Riverside courthouse. The office is located at:
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
4229 Main St. Suite A/B
Riverside, CA 92501
Contact our law firm today at (877) 466-5245 for a free phone consultation regarding your domestic violence case.